Join us at the National Press Club on April 10 from 8 AM to 5 PM for an unprecedented, frank and overdue look at the power of the Israel Lobby in the United States.
While many attribute Israel’s influence over the US to Israel’s value as an ally, others point to American lobbying organizations, such as AIPAC. But just how powerful are they? How many are there, and what do they really do? Are they good for the US? Are they good for Israel?
Current students and faculty, news media and congressional and other federal government employees may apply online for a free conference pass.
Members of the public may register online for the program and lunch for $75 at http://www.IsraelLobbyUS.
org until April 9. Same-day registration is available for $99 on a limited first-come, first-served basis beginning at 8 AM on the 13th floor of the National Press Club. For more information call (202) 939-6050.
“The Israel Lobby: Is It Good for the US? Is It Good for Israel?” Panels
Registrationto 8:55 AM (Bookstore open)
1.0 What Is the Israel Lobby and How Does It Work? 9:00 AM
- Grant Smith: How big is the Lobby and what does it do? An overview of the 501(c) universe.
- Seth Morrison: From the Jewish National Fund to Jewish Voice for Peace and BDS.
- Jeffrey Blankfort: The ADL: Covert action, censure, and courting law-enforcement.
2.0 Are Critical Voices Silenced? 10:10 AM
- Prof. Richard Falk: Weakening and discrediting the UN: The work of pro-Israel NGOs.
- Dr. Alice Rothchild: Silencing voices that question Israeli actions.
- Dr. Jack Shaheen: The use of cultural stereotypes to shape policy.
3.0 Is Freedom of Speech Encouraged on American Campuses? 11:35 AM
- Amani Al-Khatahtbeh: Daring to speak out on campus.
- Dima Khalidi: Pressures on universities to discipline and punish students and faculty for speech activities.
- Ahmad Saadaldin: Overcoming obstacles: SJP successes.
4.0 Is the Lobby Good for Israel? 1:15 PM
- Miko Peled: How the Lobby enables Israeli policy: Views of an Israeli in America.
- Gideon Levy: Does unconditional support for Israel endanger Israeli voices?
- Huwaida Arraf: The situation of Arab citizens of Israel: Views of an Arab citizen of Israel.
5.0 How Does the Lobby Influence Congress? 2:25 PM
- Former AIPAC employee M.J. Rosenberg: Is it all about the money?
- Former Rep. Nick Rahall (D-WV): My experience with the Israel Lobby; The use of dark money.
- Former Rep. Paul Findley (R-IL): What I should have done, and what Congress can do today.
6.0 Is There an Iraq-Iran Continuum? 3:50 PM
- Gareth Porter: The push for war on Iran.
- Reza Marashi: The Iran nuclear deal.
- Paul Pillar: AIPAC/Netanyahu objectives and the American interest.
Conference Organizers are:
Speakers include (in alphabetical order):
More detailed speaker biographies, as well as information about the moderators (Helena Cobban, Delinda Hanley, Janet McMahon, Askia Muhammad, and Dale Sprusansky) are available at http://IsraelLobbyUS.org/
See http://www.IsraelLobbyUS.org and @IsraelLobbyUS on Twitter for final updates.
Speakers’ books will be available at the conference for sale and signing. Those unable to attend can purchase the books from AET’s Middle East Books and More.
Be sure to follow us on Twitter @IsraelLobbyUS and on <Facebook.com/USIsraelLobby>.